Saturday, August 05, 2006

Communication

Have you ever seen Mr. Holland's Opus? I have, but it's been a very long time. In the scene I just saw the little boy is wanting something off the top shelf, but his mother can't figure out what he's wanting. At the same time the mother is having a conversation with the father regarding a special school for the deaf boy. The boy and the mother are both very frustrated and angry that they can't communicate. My first emotion was that I couldn't imagine not being able to communicate with my son. We would both be missing so much. I had to choke back tears. As I've been sitting here writing I was struck with how the mother and father were also having trouble communicating even though they can both hear and speak. Are you some times frustrated because of the lack of communication? Are you listening to each other? Really listening? Actively listening.

No comments: