Thursday, October 30, 2008

Pregnancy Now & Then

Throughout this pregnancy I have been wondering how women did it in the "old" days. I'm talking about women as far back as Jesus' day & beyond. I realize that many times these women had multiple generations of family living with them who probably helped a great deal. But you know there were women alone, with other children to care for, while their husbands were gone for long hours every day or even gone for days, weeks, or months at a time trying to make a living for their family. These women HAD to cook from scratch or they didn't get to each. I'm sure many of them had to slaughter their own meat, milk their own cows, & grind their own flour. My first trimester I was so tired & sick that I didn't know what I wanted to eat. During my second trimester my back hurt so much that if I did one thing wrong it would hurt for the rest of the day; this includes standing on my feet for too long trying to cook a meal. Now, in my third trimester my belly is in the way of me bending over or getting to close to the counter.
During this pregnancy I have let my house go & we have been eating more convenience foods. I don't know how many times Geoff came home from work & I would announce that I had no idea what was for dinner. He's pretty good at whipping something up when I need him to, even if it's as simple as breakfast for dinner (thanks, honey). I'm sure it's going to be a while before we find our new "normal" but I'm ready for the next phase of our life to begin.

No comments: